SC - What would you do?

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 27 12:41:43 PST 2000

Hi there.  In response to the problems you mentioned, let me give you my two
cents.

In our Barony, I am always asked to make candied peel.  There is no way I
can eat all that fruit and also I am allergic to limes.  There are a couple
of different things I do.
1.  I ask folks at work to save their peels.  I have baggies at my desk if
anyone brings fruit in for lunch, etc.

2.  I buy a bag of oranges, some grapefruit, lemons and limes, etc. and peel
them with a sharp potato peeler.  Since I can't eat all the fruit myself, I
use the fruit another way; I slice and dry it.  Then I dip the dried rounds
in white or dark chocolate.  I have found limes dipped in white chocolate
are more popular than you would think.  Grapefruits too.  Oranges and
tangerines are better in chocolate.

3.  I also have stored fruit peels in the refridge or freezer.  Just leave
the pith scraping till you need to use them.  Scrape with the edge of a
spoon, like you suggested, to remove the white pith.  It's actually easier
to do it after they have been off the fruit for a while.

The artist in me drove me to making a wire tree which I "planted" in a
florists green styrofoam covered roughly with green tissue with roots dug
deep in and some small ones knarly showing on the surface of the "earth" and
placed in a basket.  Then I hang bits of candied peel and cranberry on the
tree and scatter the rest in the basket.  Very charming display.  It works
for sugarpaste too!

If you have anymore questions about peel, just ask!

Lady Olwen the Odd
Clan of Odds
House Blackstar
Bright Hills Cooks Guild