SC - Buying lamb

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 28 08:34:55 PST 2000

The Clerk of the Kitchen would have been the accountant for the kitchen
staff and possibly the brewery, winery and bakery, if those functions were
adjuncts of the household.

The Wardrobe is the accounting and inventory office for a household.  The
Clerk of the Kitchen would likely be under the authority of the Clerk of the
Wardrobe.  BTW, Wardrobe is the term commonly used in the English Royal
Household.  Other terms have been used.

Stewards were the managerial staff.  The Steward of the Household would
provide administrative direction for the Wardrobe and the household in
general.  The Steward of the Kitchen provided administrative direction for
the kitchen.

Pantler, Butler and Dresser were separate offices, usually responsible
directly to the Wardrobe.

The preparation of food and the accounting for the portions prepared was the
responsibility of the Kitchen.  This was delivered to the Dresser, as were
the bread and wine from the Pantler and the Butler.  The Dresser was then
responsible for preparing and serving the food and accounting for the
expenditure of the prepared portions delivered to him.  The Almoner (often a
household Chaplain) was responsible for seeing that the tables were properly
cleared and that the leftovers were dispensed as charity.  Comparisons
between the accounts of the Kitchen, Butler, Pantler, Dresser and Almoner
were done by the Wardrobe to locate waste and fraud.

Terminology is not consistent, nor is household structure.  Functions are
not clearly delineated in many accounts.  Smaller establishments might
combine offices, larger establishments might separate duties further.  Staff
can further be divided by those who were permanent upon estates and were
part of the household only when the Lord or Lady was in residence and those
who travelled with the household.  Gentlemen and yeomen of an office might
also have different authority and responsibility.

Cooks, brewers, bakers, vintners, etc. while part of the household were
usually contracted professionals who received wages in addition to their
keep.

We haven't even touched on the Marshalsea (stables, horses, grooms, etc.),
which while part of the household often did not eat in the hall (rowdy lot,
those grooms).

While one may wonder at the numbers of people involved in household service,
it is worth remembering that large households were uncommon and that the
most available information covers Royal households which were exceptionally
wealthy and large.  Even so, the accounts for one wealth widow show her
staff served portions for between 50 and 75 people for most of the year in
question.

Bear