SC - OT: Iron Chef Drinking Game

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 28 11:21:18 PST 2000

Going back to an old topic:
> A period "seed market"? More details or referances please. This is the
> first I've heard of any such thing. I assume this was only very late
> in period, when trade was more stable and there was less small-scale
> warfare, since the lose of the seeds for next year's crops could be
> devastating. Or was this just for ornamental plants?

Argh. I've found a few references in Rosetta Clarkson's _Green
Enchantment_ (foofy title, good book), specifically to Gardiner:
"Richard Gardiner of Shrewsbury, a merchant and a churchman, published a
garden book in 1603, still remembered. It was believed to be the second
edition of a work first published in 1597, the year of Gerard's Herbal...
To Gardiner goes the distinction, in his little 30-page booklet, of
producing the first book solely on vegetables and first seed catalog we
know... Gardiner's severest chiding, however, was of the cheating
seedsellers whom he called 'Caterpillars,' avowing that they yearly rob
from the poor by selling them 'olde and dead seedes.' He held that though
no laws on earth would punish these dishonest men, 'The Almighty God doth
beholde their monstrous deceipt and except those doe repent with speed,
both God and man will abhorre them as outragious theeves.'...
Gardiner concludes his tirade on seedsellers with the wish not only that
they would sell good seeds but would be reasonable in the price. He
himself sold seeds and in the book he gives a price list which was
certainly modest in its demands. He had turnip seed at 12d a pound, beed
seed 2d a quart, and carrot seeds 2d 'the waxe pound without deceit.'"

Tusser, on the other hand, in his _Five hundreth points of good husbandry
united to as many of good huswifery_ (1573), says:
"Good huswives in summer will save their owne seeds
Against the next year, or occasion needs:
One seed for another to make an exchange,
With fellowly neighbourhood, seemeth not strange."

I think that either Hyll or Parkinson has more on the Dutch seed trade,
but I haven't found it yet, and I may be mixing it up with Clarkson's
reports of Gardiner's fulminations against the importation of Carrots from
Holland...
More as I find it.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Our kingdom is a garden and such gardens are not made/By singing "Oh how
beautiful!" and sitting in the shade..." --Kipling, "Glory of the Garden"