Fwd: SC - OOP Pumpkin Cheesecake ( was Re: Librarians)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 29 06:26:05 PST 2000

Greetings and happy holidays to the List.  I have a question re how a
name should be pronounced.  Bartolomeo Sacchi, the author of "De Honesta
Voluptate et Valetudine" was known as "Platina."  Should this be
pronounced "Pla-teen-a" or "Pla-teye-na?"  I've heard the two versions
used about equally and tend to adjust my pronuciation to match whichever
one the other person is using.  So, I'd like to know which is the proper
way of saying his name.  My simplistic guess is "Pla-teye-na" because
the only Latin word I can think of that ends in "-ina" is "Regina,"
which is pronounced with the hard "i."  On the other hand, the name of
M. Platini, the great French football star of the 1980's, was pronounced
"Pla-teen-e."

Help from someone with greater knowledge would be appreciated.

John le Burguillun
{who won't even mention how many different ways he's heard His Grace
Cariadoc's name pronounced}