Fwd: SC - OOP Pumpkin Cheesecake ( was Re: Librarians)

harper@idt.net harper at idt.net
Fri Dec 29 16:11:36 PST 2000

hey all from Anne-Marie

Gytha sez:
>"You say Plat-ee-nah, I say Plat-eye-nah.  You say Reg-ee-na, I say
>Reg-eye-na..."

actually, you may be more right than you know....

I blythely assume that Plahteeenah vs Plahtaaaaynah is much the same issue
as Apickius or Apeescius, ie it depends on if you're speaking ancient or
modern latin.  As there was no recording technology for the time, its a
little tricky to figure out what the guy himself called himself :).

also, there's all kinds of regional pronunciations...just becuase its one
thing in textbook modern italian doesnt mean much for how it was really
pronounced in period, unfortunately :(

- --Anne-Marie, who was a major source of giggles for the locals in Burgundy
as she tried to pronounce local place names like Auxerre like her high
school french teacher would have wanted her to....:)