SC - Fw: [TY] Info needed/Sleeper aircraft

margali margali at 99main.com
Fri Dec 29 15:43:05 PST 2000

At 7:52 PM -0500 12/28/00, micaylah wrote:
>  > Now, how about some suggestions for period foods that modern eaters would
>  > percieve as 'breakfast' foods?
>
>  > I've tried the Orange Omelette and didn't
>  > find it palatable, but I'm definitely looking at Hanoney (eggs with
>  > onions, what's not to like?), Carbonara, rice pudding, and plum mousse.
>  > And of course bread. Other suggestions?
>
>I have also served Hanoney but after trying it the first time (for 40 many
>years ago) I would suggest trimming back a little on the onions for mass
>consumption.

You don't say where the recipe is from. Are there quantities in the original?

>Grain cereals (Cream of Wheat/Oatmeal/whatever) with some fruit and cheese
>on the side could also be a quick filling first meal.
>
>And of course...coffee.

I gather the original question was about period breakfasts. To the
best of my knowledge, coffee isn't period in Europe, unless you count
the European part of the Ottoman Empire at the very tail end of our
period. And I doubt that anything very much like standard modern
coffee is period anywhere.

Do you know which of the cereals you list correspond reasonably
closely to things eaten in period? Rolled oat are, I think, a 19th
century invention.

One possibility for a period breakfast is leftovers from dinner the
night before. I have a reference to an early Caliph doing that. Also,
I think if you look at the records on the Percys, they include
information on breakfast. C. Anne Wilson might have that; I'm not
sure if I saw it there or somewhere else.

More generally, I think this is really two questions:

1. What did people have for breakfast in period?

2. What period dishes would modern people enjoy for breakfast?

With regard to the second, dessert pancakes such as cryspes and
mincebek (essentially period funnel cakes) are one possibility.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/