Bubble and Squeak (OOP) Was Re: SC - Boxing Day Recipes?

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 1 11:24:09 PST 2000

Stefan commented about

>Brangwayna Morgan commented:
> > We also encountered a pizza place in the Durham area that offered an
> > "American pizza".  I don't remember what was on it other than the canned
> > corn...
>
>Thank you. I think this makes an excellant simile for the dangers of
>creating medieval foods from what we think might be period rather
>than starting from a period recipe. Or maybe, more of the dangers of
>altering a medieval recipe because we think that the alteration would
>be an improvement.

I'll contribute my husband's experience with a bakery in Oxford I beleive.
They made several 'international' chocolate chip cookies with American
chocolate chip cookies being defined as including cinnamon in the recipe.
While not bad, it is not right.

We have regular 'arguments' about this, that usually end with me having to
present as evidence a bag of Nestle's chocolate chips with the Tollhouse
recipe sans any spices printed on the back.  Just to make sure he
understands what an American chocolate chip cookie should taste like, I bake
some up.  He's rather dense, I have to re-teach this all too often!

Bonne