SC - Pigs-Lard production/usage

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Dec 1 20:07:17 PST 2000

- --part1_77.cdc4e45.2759cf75_boundary

In a message dated 12/1/00 6:12:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, phelpsd at gate.net
writes:

> >Anyone have any stat on how much lard you get off of one pig if it hasn't
> >been raised in the modern fashion, on kitchen scraps?

Please clarify this statement. Do you mean that modern pigs are raised on
table scraps unlike period pigs or do you mean that period pigs were raised
on table scraps unlike modern pigs? I am confused.

In the town s pigs roamed freely eating all kinds of table scraps and other
detris. On estates they were pastured in oak groves and were considerably
fattened on acorns. Either way the pigs were fattened. Modern pigs have been
bread for the past 30 years to be increasingly lean so comparing them to
period pigs is questionable so far as their fat producing capabilities.

One o the major agricultural products until well into the beginning of this
century was the production of lard. I am puzzled as to why you feel it was
'expensive' during the middle ages.  As soon ago as 10 years, lard could
still be bought in my area for 3 or 4 pounds to a dollar. Vegetable oil when
compared to lard only became somewhat reasonably priced within that same
period of time.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol

- --part1_77.cdc4e45.2759cf75_boundary