SC - Help! Cabbage! Cakes!

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 3 09:47:33 PST 2000

Alistair aka Stefano wrote:
>I once got some exceptional sausages called mersegs, made by a
>French descended German butcher. Spicy lamb and beef - superb!
>Boiled and then fried, as your friends said.

Sounds like Maghribi, i.e. North African, mergez (variant spellings),
lamb sausages.

>Fennel is also good with sausages.

The Santich cabbage recipe - and a deep salaam to those who sent the
recipe to me - includes fennel. Although i suspect that fennel is
more a spring and early summer vegetable, and i'm trying to do late
fall and winter vegetables...

>PS. Now there's a question. Does conjecturally period count?

Uh, well, that's a whole different kettle of sausages.

If one is cooking historically accurate food, i'll stick my neck out
and say, "No."

If one is cooking peri-oid food, then it's a possibility - but see
comments in that thread on American pizza with corn - what one is
making is strictly conjectural and should not be passed off as
authentic.

To a certain extent most of what we cook is conjectural, since most
recipes don't have quantities, except for a notable few, and we have
to decide what quantities of ingredients to use, and how to process
and cook things in our very differently appointed kitchens.

Anahita
who will be chained to her stove most of the day.