SC - RE: chocolate cream - 1604 Or it is?

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Mon Dec 4 12:46:13 PST 2000

Digby's book was published posthumously in 1669. He lived from 1603 to 1665.
As with anybody's recipe book, some of the recipes would pre-date the
writer, but you really couldn't tell which ones. I suppose cross-checking
the styles of food with other books and paintings from the chosen time
period could help. I'll have a look at Fettiplace sometime today, but I
don't recall any mention in it of any dates of additions to the book :-( I
did this with the Excellent small cakes receipt, and found that there were a
lot of similar receipts from the 1620s-40s, so I didn't feel that
uncomfortable using this one for 1640s reenactment)

Glenda