SC - Gingered jerky

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 18:18:28 PST 2000

- --- Diana L Skaggs <upsxdls_osu at ionet.net> wrote:
> At 05:40 PM 12/1/00 -0800, you wrote:
> >If she is like me, she isn't just allergic to
> cayenne
> >peppers, she is allergic to capsicum, which is the
> >magic hot ingredient in all peppers.  Avoid giving
> her
> >anything with any kind of peppers at all.  If you
> want
> >to give her a jerky with some heat, perhaps you
> could
> >make gingered jerky.
> >
> >Huette
>
> I've seen her eat jalapenos with no ill effects.  I
> picked up some Green
> Hot Sauce last night to experiment with.  I would
> LOVE to have your recipe
> for gingered jerky.  PLEASE?  Leanna

1 1/2 lbs sirloin tip, or london broil, or tri-tip.
1/2 cup fresh ginger, pulverized
1/2 cup red wine or burgundy
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Slice meat 1/8th inch thick.  Mix last four
ingredients and place in large ziplock bag along with
meat.  Marinate in refrigerator overnight, turning
occasionally.  Drain meat well on paper towels. Place
cookie racks on top of cookie sheets.  Place meat on
racks.  Do not overlap.  Heat oven to 125 to 140
degrees (or lowest setting) and dry for 8 to 10 hours
or until done.  Leave oven door slightly ajar.
[Drying times vary due to oven differences and meat
size.  Taste test for desired doneness.

=====
shall never cease to be amused.