SC - olives in period spanish recipes?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Dec 5 22:34:18 PST 2000

Kiri commented:
> I don't have the recipe in front of me, but there's an olive recipe that is
> suspiciously like our modern tapenade in, I think, some of Cato's writings from
> Roman times.  I got the recipe out of Ilaria Giacosa's A Taste of Ancient Rome.

What is "tapenade"? If anyone has a copy of this book, could you please
post the recipe/redaction? I started a file on olives (olives-msg in
the FOOD-VEGETABLES section), but it is still quite small. For a food
that I thought was common to the Mediterranean area, olives have not
gotten much discussion on the SCA news/mail groups. Perhaps in
period olives were used mostly for their oil or generally only
eaten in an uncooked state? I'm saying "uncooked" rather than "raw"
since from earlier comments on this list, the raw olives taste
horrible.

I have decided that some olives might be edible after some of the
discussion on this list and trying a few. Several weeks ago when I
was buying foods for the New World/Old World demo food game I bought
a jar of mixed Greek olives just so I could try a variety of them.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net