SC - Sauce for Sausage?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Dec 10 17:00:40 PST 2000

Jenne Heise wrote:

> Adamantius, did the East get armored-turniped-out in the last decade or
> somethin'?

Actually, I suspect so, in a way. We had a couple of rather
spectacularly bad Large Kingdom Event Feasts (head cook's name provided
upon request with an S.A.S.E.) in which they featured heavily, and I
don't recall seeing them since. That would have been quite a few years
ago; at least ten, maybe more like fifteen. I'm sure they've been
around, just not as common as they used to be.

> BTW, what good period recipes for parsnips can people recommend? Are
> buttered and spiced parsnips documentable? I just started cooking these
> and have discovered that they are _delicious_ and would love to serve them
> in an SCA context....

I believe there's a recipe for fritters of pasternaks in one of the 14th
or 15th-century English sources, and Digby, who is post-period a ways,
has a wun-dah-ful buttered puree of parsnips, surprisingly light.
Why am I tempted to serve this with sausage for bangers and mash?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com