SC - sea otter

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Dec 11 08:58:15 PST 2000

> I'm told that bears that eat berries are tasty, while garbage
> scrounging bears are icky.
> --AM, who doesnt like the idea of eating anything thats a carnivore
> for that reason....

As a matter of fact, the only recorded cases of trichonella (sp?)
infections in recent years have come from parties that have shot and
eaten bear that are garbage scroungers, and then not cooking it
thoroughly (how long *would* you have to cook a whole bear?).  Most
people stay away from anything less than well-done pork for this reason,
but with large-scale farm raising operations, the normal feed is grain
based, and not table scraps.  So, you run into this with animals that are
scroungers, but not the farm-raised versions.
Christianna