SC - RE: Foreign language posts

E. Rain raghead at liripipe.com
Mon Dec 11 15:43:32 PST 2000

Gunther wrote re a post of some recipes in German:

> Just a reminder...this post could possibly be useless to 98%
> of the members
> of this list. If a recipe is posted in a language other than
> English, please
> provide either a translation or a request for translation.
> Otherwise this post
> has no use for many members.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gunthar

OK Gunthar you're the list admin & have the right to lay that down as a
rule, but I'm going suggest that you think about it a bit more.

Those of us who have access to materials in thier original languages don't
necessarily have access to the time/energy to translate every piece of data
that might be relevant to a thread here, and I think it's better to be given
this info in it's original languague rather than not at all.  that way if
it's relevant to a topic I care about I can get it translated.  I don't need
to read German myself, if I'm told that X's post is a 14th c. German recipe
for Noodle Kugel & I'm in the middle of doing research on 14th c. Noodle
Kugels you can bet I will find *somebody* to translate it for me :-> and if
I'm feeling nice I'll even come back to the list with that translation
later...  When it comes to info on actual period recipes/food habits, let's
encourage exchange of info however we can get it, rather than restricting
it.

Eden - italian girl

WARNING: Dates on the calendar are closer than they appear!

Eden Rain
raghead at liripipe.com