SC - Sekanjabin and others

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Dec 11 16:20:26 PST 2000

Ras asked:

>Daniel, how thick was the syrup that you made? My suspicion is that
>your proportion of sugar to water was not high enough to inhibit
>the growth of the bad stuff. For instance, I believe you have to
>dilute honey before it will even ferment for mead for instance.

My reply:

I made it according to the recipe, volume for volume sugar to juice.  Thus
for every cup of juice a cup of sugar.  I dissolved the sugar in the juice
heated it until it was steaming and the syrup had cleared and decanted it
into the bottles.  I washed the bottles and if I am not mistaken rinsed them
with a dilute bleach/water solution and them rinsed them again with hot
water so that the bottles were hot when I decanted the syrup into them.    I
then corked them and put them on the shelf.  A couple of weeks went by and
there was a growth on the top of the syrups in the bottles which looked like
mold and a discoloration of the syrup about an inch into it from the top.
One odd note, the sekanjabin syrup I did at about the same time did not
turn.   Now I keep all syrups in the refrigerator except when I take them to
the event.   Truth to tell as I live in semi tropical south Florida, West
Palm Beach to be exact, I generally keep anything that might turn in the
frig as a matter of course.

Daniel Raoul