SC - Excellent Small Cakes, Digby

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 17:41:50 PST 2000

- --- Bonne of Traquair <oftraquair at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >From: Tom Bilodeau <tirloch at cox.rr.com>

> >Greetings, all!
> >
> >Sorry for not adding my redaction of digby cakes
> sooner.  I have heard that
> >my
> >redaction has recently been exported to Trimaris
> for a feast and whenever I
> >make
> >these cakes, I never have any to take home.  I
> don't use currants as they
> >are
> >really hard to find in the DC area and I have
> success with using baking
> >raisins
> >instead.
> >

> Tirloch, currants are available in the bulk foods
> section at Wellspring
> Grocery in Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill, so if
> you want to go the whole
> way for it this time, I'm sure someone in
> Windmasters' Hill would be willing
> to aquire the currants and bring them to the site.
> Ask me privately and
> I'll see if I can search out someone specific.  If
> you aren't cooking on
> site, but there is a Wholefoods Grocery somewhere
> near you, they can perhaps
> get them in, since Wellspring was bought by them a
> few years ago.
>
> Bonne (wishing she was 'home' in WH, helping plan
> 12th night)

I don't know about DC, but I know that you can usually
get currants, specifically Zante currants, in your
local grocery store.  I know that SunMaid [amongst
other brands] has them usually in the same location of
their raisins, usually in the baking section of your
market.  At least in Caid, currants have never been a
problem to find.  And during the Christmas season,
they are even easier to find.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.