SC - Hollands

Thu Dec 14 14:10:57 PST 2000

>From a number of references, aqua vitae appears to have been used as a
generic term for strong, distilled liquors.  IIRC, the term is used in a
reference to the excessive use of brandy in one of the Dutch cities in the
early 16th Century, a time when the Dutch were financing a war for
independence by trading with the enemies of Spain.  Brandewijn predates gin,
as you point out.

Apart from cheese and tulips, the main product of the country is advocaat, a
drink made from lawyers.  -- Alan Coren

Bear