SC - split peas and other beans.

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Wed Dec 20 19:38:14 PST 2000

Hi Nisha,
Well, I did cook them at a boil.  Next time I will be more careful.  I didn't
use salt so that leads me to believe that the split peas are old.  Since I
got it bulk last summer, I will just have to be more careful in future.  Live
and learn!
Have a good holiday,
Phillipa
<<
 Split peas dont usually have to be soaked. Neither do
 lentils. There are a few things that can make them
 cook unevenly. One is if they are too old. The other
 is too much salt in the water, which is why most
 cookbooks will tell you to season in the last few
 minutes of cooking, and another is cooking them at a
 boil instead of a simmer. This goes for most beans,
 whether you need to soak them or not.
 Nisha