SC - What would you do?

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Sat Dec 23 16:21:18 PST 2000

In a message dated 12/23/00 4:50:58 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
watson at interconnect.net writes:

> Hello,
>
>  I wanted to ask you all a question. I am about to put on my third feast
for
> 125
>  + people in two years.  I have bought books and try to do as much research
> as I
>  kind to present a period feast that tastes good as well.

My thought would be to find out who accepts the submissions for the
newsletter. Contact them directly and explain the situation, as calmly as you
can. Compromise by stating you will draft a notice regarding the feast
yourself and have to them in x number of days. It may be that the newsletter
expects the autocrats of events to supply their own articles about the
upcoming event. In which case this is just a case of miscommunication. On the
other hand, if you suspect there is more to their behavior than that, this
should rectify it.

If, in the latter case, and because you currently have such little time left,
take that notice and also have it printed up in 1 page format, like a
handout. Make several hundred copies. At the upcoming 12th night parties,
hand out the notice to people who come to the parties. If this is a "make
reservations ahead" situation, remind them politely at the bottom of the
notice that first come is first served, so reservations--especially paid in
advance--are always appreciated. If the reservations have been standing, and
there are no openings at present, write in something about "currently
reservations are for 125, but drop outs occur, keep checking and you might be
pleasantly surprised to find seats are available." Also, play up the
beginning of the notice: "For those of you who have been to the other two
feasts prepared by XXXX, you will remember what a treat those dishes were,
and we know you will want to attend this third in two years...." You might
also follow that somewhere with, "For those of us with prior experience at
these past feasts, we look forward to a delightful time. For those of you
attending for the first time, it is sure to be a treat...."

For God's own sake, blow your own horn. Get your name out there, and if
anyone calls you on it, sweetly smile and explain that since your feasts have
never been advertised in the newsletter, but have always been packed, you
wanted to get the word out to some of the newer folks who might like to
attend if they get the chance. Then turn on your heel and parade away as if
sugar wouldn't melt in your mouth.

And hang any of them that say anything else on it.

Lars--who understands where you are now, I was once there too.