SC - OOP Presents

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Dec 28 14:02:42 PST 2000

In a message dated 12/28/2000 3:10:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com writes:

<< It's about time to start that annual thread:
 what kitchen stuff did you get for holidays gifts?
 what holiday treats (traditional or otherwise) did you make? >>

I got a small coffee grinder for grinding whole spices.

I made several batches of spiced nuts fron the recipe below to give to my
colleagues at work.  I discovered that you have to cook them over medium
heat, or the sugar caramelizes and you get spiced nut brittle instead.  Both
versions taste great, however.  I also discoverd that you should not cook
them in a cast iron frying pan, because they sugar syrup turns black and you
get dingy gray nuts.

Sugared Nuts

4 cups nuts
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Mix ingredients in heavy skillet.  Cook until water disappears and nuts have
a sugary appearance.  Remove from heat and pour nuts onto a baking sheet.
Separate quickly with 2 forks.

>From the kitchen of Dora Grimm
http://www.northpole.com/cooking/rec081.html

Brangwayna Morgan