SC - Re: Candied Peel Question

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 29 07:45:04 PST 2000

(Back from a trip to San Francisco and behind in the digests!)  One place I
found for "free" peels was at my local supermarket where they squeezed fresh
orange juice daily.  I asked for some of the discarded peels which they
thought was wierd, but they gave them to me.  You can cut around the hole
they make to insert the rod for squeezing.  I also found that the easiest
way to get rid of the white pith was to remove it with a regular spoon
_after_ it had gone through the boiling process several times.  It becomes
very soft and easy to remove at that point, leaving you with just the outer
skin.

Alys Katharine