SC - Gazpacho?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 6 00:30:06 PST 2000

THLord  Stefan li Rous wrote:
>I remember us discussion Gazpacho on this list previously. But I don't
>remember anyone saying just what type of food item this "Gazpacho" is.
>I've saved some of the previous discussion, but I've not decided what
>the food is and thus don't know where to put the information. So, if
>someone could describe what this Gazpach is and how it differs from
>similar food, I'd appreciate it.

I think that by modern American standards, it would be considered a soup.

It usually has bread soaked in vinegar and olive oil and mashed up
with garlic and salt to form a thick unctuous liquid, into which is
stirred chopped tomatoes, bell peppers, and cucumber.

I asked because there is a "white" gazpacho, without the tomatoes and
bell pepper, and food myths say this is the original and that it is
Moroccan or at least Moorish in origin, with the name in Spanish
deriving from the Arabic for "torn bread". I don't know if this is
true, however, hence my question.

Anahita al-shazhiyya