SC - US bars UK

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 6 09:11:12 PST 2000

WyteRayven at aol.com wrote:

> Actually, I have known several people who have come over recently from Ireland, and they LOVE Budweiser. Apparently it is very popular there.
>
> They seem to treat it like soda. Something light, I guess, in comparison to the norm.

Small beer. Yep.

A friend and fellow SCAdian-brewer, Lord Ateno of Annun Ridge, used to
inspect ships for the USCG in New York Harbor. While, obviously, it
would be horrible for such a functionary to be offered, let alone
accept, a bribe by the captains of these ships, he would occasionally be
invited to lunch. One German vessel was in port during Oktoberfest, and
Ateno, both a brewer and a man of renowned thirst, asked the captain if
it was true, as he had heard in the past, that many German ships would
get aboard a shipment of quality beer for Oktoberfest. The captain
replied that yes, as a matter of fact, he had several cases of his own
favorite beer aboard specifically for that reason. Ateno asked what it
was, and the captain replied, "Bood-vyzah!" Ateno turned green and
asked, trying to make the best of an uncomfortable situation,
"Budweiser-Budwar, the Czech Pilsner? Wonderful!"

The Captain replied, "No, Anheuser-Busch! Bood-vyzah! Da King of Bierce!"

We'v been speculating that the captain may have got it aboard in the
assumption that USCG inspectors would like the stuff. And Ateno _hates_ coffee...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com