SC - US bars UK

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Dec 7 16:27:45 PST 2000

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> I heard on the radio recently that a bishop in Italy declared that
> fast food is not Catholic. It is Protestant and good Catholics, at
> least in Italy, should not eat it. Catholic values are communitarian,
> such as eating together, while fast food is Protestant, promoting
> individualism, eating alone and quickly, rather than at a properly
> Catholic leisurely pace.

Uh oh... Maybe we need another Saint George to be a Uniter, not a
Divider <snicker>. But then, to some extent, in the scheme of things
this is largely the sort of thing Italian bishops seem to be _for_. It's
a shame, but it stands to reason that since few people these days can
distinguish between philosophy and religion, there should also be so
many difficulties between Church and State.

I expect if the Pope were asked for an opinion on this matter, he would
look at you as if you were insane, and ask if you don't think he doesn't
have more important things to worry about.

> The report was either on NPR, the BBC, or the CBC, since the station
> i listen to broadcasts them all at various times during the day.
>
> I'm searching for a reference on the web, but so far am not coming up
> with anything.

Didn't Margali post something on this a week or so ago?

Interesting side issue... while we're veering onto the subject of people
using some assumption of morality or virtue to resist the onset of
change, my lady wife and I were discussing the various dishes we could
think of that more or less require an entire family to prepare them.

Examples would include some filled Italian pasta dishes, a number of
Chinese constructs like wontons, sweet rice "tamales", actual tamales
made from masa harina, etc., pasteles (the Latin-Caribbean tamale,
essentially), a real clambake, real barbecue, etc.

My wife's theory is that to some extent these dishes help keep families
together (bearing in mind that to her and her culture of origin, family
unity is more important than air).

Comments from interested parties?

Adamantius
- --