SC - Non-member submission - RE: Saffron

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Dec 8 10:57:11 PST 2000

Pasted below is what I found on the www.saffron.com web page.  There are
lots of different names and classes
and titles used for selling to the public.  It entices us to buy theri
brands.  IT may say Mancha, but in reality only
imported by growers in Mancha to supplement their crop.  you never know
without asking the actual supplier.  I
now ask every seller what the ISO rating of their product.  If they
cannot tell me, then I do not buy.  I know that may not
be the only factor, but if they are so unfamiliar with their product not
to know the international rating of it, then the
odds of theri handling it and packaging it well go done in my
estimation.

Coupe is likely a region in which it was processed.  Crops vary from
region to region and season to season.  Simply knowing where it came
from doesn't help you know the quality.  It is the spectrographic
analysis that will tell you as related in the ISO strength rating.

Saffron is worth buying quality.  I have ordered from Golden Gate at the
above site, and have been immensely pleased.
I may even try to be a distributor in the region part time if there is a
market and money to make ;o)  I hope all this info helps.

niccolo difrancesco

PASTED FROM WWW.SAFFRON.COM :
******* In order to release the potent chemicals in saffron threads,
they must be inmersed , in an alcoholic, acidic or
 hot liquid for longer than just a few minutes. This allows aroma,
flavor and color to be generously extracted.
 Notice I am not saying "fully" extracted. Saffron threads can release
aroma, flavor and color for 24 hours or
 more, depending on their quality! This is an inconvenient time frame
for busy professional chefs and most
 home cooks, so I tell my clients to shoot for an extraction time of no
less than 20 minutes and more if they
 can manage (See additional information under Working with Saffron).

 The professionals who define Category I saffron as needing a minimum of
190, are called the International
 Organization for Standardization (ISO). They have set minimum, not
maximum standards for saffron. I sell the
 best quality saffron available anywhere in the world, backed by
scientific evidence. When you buy my
 saffron, I can show you a photospectromety report which verifies its
high coloring strength. This is the only
 method used internationally to measure saffron's worth.

 The higher its coloring strength, the higher its value. Saffron's
coloring strength determines its flavor and
 aroma. You will read and hear all kinds of other things about measuring
saffron like you should look for a
 particular color and size in saffron threads and that you should
probably avoid saffron powder altogether.
 This is misinformation. If saffron has the right coloring strength, it
will have the right color and general
 appearance, whether it is in thread or powder form.   ****************