SC - Gardening - Grapes and other long-term perrenials

Tara Sersen tsersen at nni.com
Fri Dec 8 13:07:09 PST 2000

Good news - we bought a house!  I'll spare you the details (no matter how much
I burst with them) because they're way way off topic;  But, this is a lead-in
to some food-gardening questions.

For years, I've had little gardens and dozens of pots in various rental abodes,
but now I get to do all kinds of long-term things like asparagus and rhubarb...
I'm so excited!

I want to grow grapes.  I have some good sunny spots where I could grow anything.
 However, we have a beautiful porch with an ugly roof, and thought we could
rip out the roof and make an awesome arbor.  But, it's a bit shady.  I know
grapes prefer full sun;  But my parents have grown them in partial shade, and
I've heard anecdotal reports of other people doing the same.  So, can anybody
recommend good grapes for less-than-ideal sun conditions?  I remember the discussions
here some time ago about period vs. modern varieties of grape.  I am not partial
to a period variety, but I am partial at least to an heirloom variety, not a
very modern hybrid.

Next, I remember discussions of heirloom seed companies, but I can't find the
old messages among the thousands saved for "easy reference" later... Would somebody
please repost the contact information on those companies, particularly urls?
 Similarly, does anybody know of any companies that sell saplings of fruit trees
that were grown organically?

Finally (gardening but not food,) apparantly the last owner ripped out quite
a bit of perfectly good honeysuckle and wild rose and planted *gak* tons of
hosta.  Any idea how I can get rid of this scourge?  And, since it would take
years to reestablish the honeysuckle and roses, can anybody recommend shade-loving,
edible things to go in some of that space?

Thank you!

Magdalena vander Brugghe
Happy Homeowner Extrordinaire