SC - Re: US bars UK

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Dec 9 18:17:12 PST 2000

Bonne of Traquair wrote:

> >Vicente wrote:
> >>We do, and that's why we keep trying to come up with new ways to
> >>showcase new foods and combinations.  Who else but Americans would
> >>come up with the idea of combining Chinese and Cuban/Dominican food?
>
> Jewish Chinese Resteraunts in LA was quite mind-boggling to me.  I haven't
> gone to one yet.
>
> Bonne

I dunno, is this really any more peculiar than Glatt Kosher Italian?
Actually, Chinese cookery is almost ideal for Kashrut most of the time;
Passover might be tough. Think about it. Little or no dairy, substitute
veal and/or chicken for pork (which is a pretty typical move in such
places), the other meats can pass as themselves, as well as fin fish.
Vegetables should be fine as is, in theory. The only thing that just
can't work, as far as I can tell, are the various shellfish.

The main problem would be during Passover, when, I assume, you'd have
difficulties with starch-thickened sauces and soups, as well as rice and
pasta. You might use tapioca or arrowroot for thickening (and I'm just
guessing here; this could be somehow inappropriate), and one might make
an argument to the effect that soy sauce, etc., are fermented products.

Comments from anybody who actually knows what he or she is talking about
on this subject? (Since that obviously lets _me_ out) ;  ).

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com