SC - period fried foods

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Dec 10 00:00:24 PST 2000

Thomas replied to my request for period frog recipes with several German
ones and included this:

> Platina from IX.41 (tr. Milham)
> "[...] We let the legs of those which are captured be stripped of skin
> and soaked a night or a day in fresh water. Then when they have been
> rolled in meal, we fry them in oil. When they are fried and put in a
> dish, my friend Palellus covers them with green sauce and sprinkles them
> with fennel flowers and spices".

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought most of the period recipes we had for
fried foods just fried them in oil, without coating them with a breading
first. But this one does use a breading.

Am I mis-remembering?
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net