SC - Jorvik

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Dec 10 09:45:29 PST 2000

We loved the Jorvik Viking Center.  True, the odorama ride had it's
drawbacks, but it was very interesting nevertheless.  The exhibit after
is wonderful, and very well laid out.  We talked to the re-enactor who
was doing the coin strikes, and he turned us on to the smallest pub in
York, the Blue Bell.  When the three of us walked in, we doubled the
number of folks in the place, and filled it up.  We had a draft there
(the reason he sent us) called 'Waggledance'.  It is an ale made from
honey - not sweet, but with overtones of honey flavor over the ale.
Named Waggledance for the bee's directional dance to the hive when it has
found pollen sources, it is supposed to be much closer to the everyday
drink the Vikings were partaking in when in York (according to the fellow
at the museum.  I believe he plays with Regum Angelorum as well.)  It was
not like mead at all, like I said, it was not sweet, but did retain a
slight flavor of honey.  We struck up a conversation with a business
suited patron, who started talking about home-brewing and competitions.
He went on about how these judges did not know anything except bitter
stouts, and if you tried to introduce something new, they did not accept
it, and in general repeated many complaints we normally hear in the SCA
about competitions.  We smiled and commisserated with him, and generally
enjoyed our day in York very much.
Christianna