SC - Sekanjabin and others

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Dec 10 08:39:35 PST 2000

We just had a smallish local event down here in Sea March, Trimaris.  As an
experiment I sent out for sampling  sekanjabin, lemon, lime, and sour orange
syrups with a pitcher of water, a bowl of ice and the invitation for anyone
to try them.   While everyone who tried each of them liked them all, the
sekanjabin and the sour orange were most popular.  Regarding the citrus
syrups I used equal parts by volume of juice and sugar per the Miscellany
recipe discussed earlier for lemon.  Sour oranges are available down here in
the grocery store at 45 cents a pound.  While they look medium sized they
have a very thick peel with about as much flesh as an average lemon.  After
adding water to the sour orange syrup people though the drink tasted like
tangerine.  I didn't do a pomegranate syrup as they were quite dear.

As a side note the citrus syrups do need to be refrigerated, I left the key
lime one I made previously out and it became a science project.
Additionally, while it seems obvious in hindsight, people probably shouldn't
drink these out of metal such as modern pewter.  I did so and the result had
an off flavor which was not present when drinking them out of a glass
container.

Daniel Raoul