SC - Nanna's Smoked Lamb?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Dec 10 20:57:23 PST 2000

Nanna commented:
> I¥d say in Iceland meat has been smoked since the Settlement but I¥ll look
> into it and see if I can find anything further. It certainly was the main
> preservation method for meat during the Middle Ages and up until the 19th
> century.
>
> For a proper smoked leg of lamb, you need:

<snip of traditional Icelandic smoking over sheep dung for a long time>

> I don¥t smoke meat myself, I can buy some very good traditionally smoked
> lamb here. If you are serious about this project, I could dig up
> instructions for you, though.

Do you know if any of this lamb is exported? Now-a-days it seems that
most meats are only lightly smoked, more to give a bit of flavor than
any real preservation. I've never had smoked lamb and never any meats
done this way. I'm not sure I will like it, but it might be worth
trying it.

I've been able to find lightly smoked fish, but nothing that I think
would compare to period smoking. I have found fish dried rock hard like
the period stockfish descriptions. I still haven't tried to turn what
I bought into something edible though.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net