SC - Rum was Coconuts in Period

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Thu Dec 14 12:12:04 PST 2000

>Was written:

Great!  Now we need to document pineapple and rum so we can serve Mai Tai's
next
>war!

Regards rum; sorry my lady the earliest reference, according to "The Penguin
Book of Spirits and Liqueurs", to spirits distilled from sugar cane is 1647.
However as sugar cane is Old World, with the first recorded reference being
327 B.C. in that Alexander brought it back from India, perhaps there might
has been a period version, distilled strickly as a medicinal preparation, in
use in the Moslem world.

Daniel Raoul