SC - Re: US bars UK

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Dec 17 11:47:13 PST 2000

Bonne of Traquair wrote:

> > > Jewish Chinese Resteraunts in LA was quite mind-boggling to me.
> >I dunno, is this really any more peculiar than Glatt Kosher Italian?
>
> How is this different from the foods of Jews who are Italian?
>
> Bonne

Hmmm. How to say it...

There are traditional Jewish foods eaten by Italian Jews in Italy; they
represent the experience of mostly Sephardic (I think) Jews, and have a
lot in common with mainstream Italian cuisine, but are pretty clearly
identifiable as the food of Italian Jews. Edda Servi Machlin is one
author of an excellent book on the subject. Then there is mainstream
Italian food, of which Glatt Kosher Italian is a variant. It's
mainstream Italian food, somewhat altered to be allowable under the law
of Moses, as opposed to the North-African and Spanish-influenced cookery
traditional among, say, Roman Jews.

I hope this makes sense, I've just burned one of my hands, and am trying
to keep this short.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy