SC - Soap and cleanliness

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Mon Dec 18 20:44:22 PST 2000

Hi,

Saw them in two test results a couple of years ago - one from a final year
Chemistry student at Uni, and another by a person from some well respected
Govt. organisation on a current affairs show. The "scrub really hard with a
clean cloth/paper came out recently, from a Doctor of Chemistry at one of
the Unis, if I remember. All these were Australian findings. These tests
were run on solid soaps, rather than liquid.
If I remember, washing your hands in tepid water is the worst, as most
harmful-to-humans bacteria thrive in near-human temperatures. Best was said
to be either nearly hotter than people can handle, or really cold water.

A lot of tests have been run by a consumer association here, and they've
found that these so-called anti-bacterial soaps kill off 99% of so of the
weaker bacteria, over time leaving the 1% of the strongest bacteria to breed
up a super-resistant strain that's unable to be killed by regular treatment,
as well as killing nearly all the good bacteria too. Some of my friends are
nurses, and they won't buy anti-bacterial products for their homes, because
many of them have seen antibiotic resistant strains working, and it's not
pleasant.
Mind you, that's not to say these anti-bacterial soaps don't have their
place, especially with kitchens used in public places by lots of people (too
many cross-contamination risks), but I've heard scientists recommend the use
of bleach to really kill them bugs.

Glenda.