SC - small brag

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 19 04:08:57 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

>   I'm not even quite sure what a "clary" is, so I probably
> don't have much material on this type of drink in the Florilegium.

Heh heh heh heh heh!!! Stefan, I can't pass up this chance!

I'm almost certain we discussed clary before on this list; in fact, I
_am_ certain. Are you sure it isn't in the Florilegium under "spiced
wines"? Seriously, I believe we discussed the difference between clary
and hypocras as described in early English sources like the Two
Anglo-Norman MSs published by Connie Hieatt, and whether or not those
differences applied across the board in other sources.

Vicente's non-alcoholic clary may be based on some kind of unfermented
mead or hydromel, if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com