SC - lamb recipes (was fleece cleaning)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Dec 21 14:28:07 PST 2000

Olwen commented:
> Hmm.  Slightly on this topic, and I shall check the Flori-thingy, but has
> anyone got a suggestion on what to do with old, dirty, flattened and matted
> fleeces?  I have a couple of really old sheepskins that are in awful
> condition.  I used to toss them in the washer but am afraid they couldn't
> make another trip there.  I hate to toss them out because I use them (mostly
> for camping) alot and they would be expensive to replace.

I don't think I've got anything specifically in the Florilegium on this but
some of the info on loose wool in the wool-clean-msg file might be of use.
I would be interested in a message from you when you do find out or succeed
on your own, so I can add it to the Florilegium. I've thought about getting
some sheep fleeces for use in SCA camping, but the cost has always put
me off
of doing this.

Some of the leather files in the CRAFTS section might also have a few tidbits
on working with such things.

> Speaking of sheep...and on food topic...I have a lamb leg quarter to prepare
> for household 12th night on the 30th.  Anyone have a good recipe?

You might try looking at this file in the FOOD section:
lamb-mutton-msg   (84K) 11/ 9/00    Medieval lamb and mutton. Recipes.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net