SC - Clarea redaction - long

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Dec 23 22:24:49 PST 2000

Sunraven wrote:

> Oh, YUM!  But ... what are grains of paradise? Is that a spice I've
> never come across, or an antique name for something familiar to this
> definitely misplace modern?
>
> Gently,
> Damascena

Afrimomum/Cardamomum Melegueta, also known as grains of paradise, guinea
grains, grains de paris (a contraction/corruption, not a reference to
the French capital) melegueta pepper, guinea pepper, was imported to
medieval Europe from, I believe, both Africa and from the Far East.

They are a cardamom relative, but not an especially close relative of
the usual little green or whitish pods used today in Indian, Middle
Eastern. and Scandinavian cookery. It is a common misperception that
since they are a [fairly distant] cardamom relative, that cardamom and
GoP are interchangable, which is not the case.

GoP are pretty much invariably sold out of their pod, unlike much of the
cardamom encountered in the US; they look a little like apple seeds and
are slightly bitter and aromatic, a bit like black pepper, but not that
much so.

I understand they turn up as a common flavoring ingredient for some
types of gin, IIRC.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy