SC - Treacle? - (long)

Lee-Gwen piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Sat Dec 23 09:39:34 PST 2000

- ------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C06D63.83C29050

- ----- Original Message -----=20

  From: Frederich=20

  Ok folks, I need help.  What is it?=20
Although some sources disagree on this point (I have given a quote from =
The Columbia Encyclopaedia, which specifically says that molasses and =
treacle are two names for the one ingredient) it is my understanding =
that they are slightly different things - that, in fact, treacle is =
molasses with additives.  This feeling is supported by the information I =
found on a Tate and Lyle site - although it is not as specific as the =
quote following it which I found on a brewing site.  What all this =
means, in actual fact, I suppose, is that one could probably get a fair =
substitute by mixing molasses with some other light sugar syrup.
Treacles (from a Tate and Lyle site)
These are the darkest colour and most highly flavoured of the Tate & =
Lyle Sugars products. The major ingredient is cane molasses. Tate & Lyle =
Sugars produces treacles with consistent characteristics. The treacles =
differ mainly in their total sugars content and cane flavour intensity.

Lyle's Black Treacle (from a brewing site - name not recorded)
Imparts an intense, sweet flavor. Black Treacle is a British mixture of =
molasses, invert sugar and golden syrup. Commonly used in dark English =
ales and Porters.=20

molasses (from The Columbia Encyclopedia: Sixth Edition.  2000)

sugar byproduct, the brownish liquid residue left after heat =
crystallization of sucrose (commercial sugar) in the process of =
refining. Molasses contains chiefly the uncrystallizable sugars as well =
as some remnant sucrose. Centrifuges are used to drain the molasses off =
from the sucrose crystals. Molasses is often reprocessed to retrieve =
more of this remnant sucrose. The better grades, such as New Orleans =
drip molasses and Barbados molasses-unreprocessed and therefore lighter =
in color and containing more sucrose-are used in cooking and =
confectionery and in the production of rum. The lowest grade, called =
blackstrap, is mainly used in mixed cattle feed and in the manufacture =
of industrial alcohol. Sugarcane is the major source of molasses; other =
sugar plants, e.g., the sugar beet, yield inferior types. The name =
molasses is sometimes applied to syrups obtained from sorghum and the =
sugar maple. In Great Britain, molasses is called treacle.=20

And now some treacle trivia - I found this at =
http://www.lovatts.com.au/WEB_section/trivia/Triv_where_44.htm while I =
was searching and was intrigued:

"Did you know that treacle has its origins in an idea similar to the =
'hair of the dog'?=20
In classical Greece it was thought that the antidote to a bite from a =
wild animal or reptile, was a compound which incorporated some of the =
flesh of the animal. The word for this antidote was theriake or =
'poisonous beast'.

By the 14th century triacle was used in English as the term for an =
antidote containing venom. The word evolved to mean any healing remedy. =
Certain herbs became known as 'countryman's treacle'.

 To make it easier to swallow unpalatable compound they were sweetened. =
The syrup produced in sugar refining became a popular option. By the end =
of the 17th century treacle had come to mean not only the medicine but =
also the thick syrup that contained it"

Gwynydd

- ------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C06D63.83C29050

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<P>----- Original Message ----- </P>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><FONT=20
  size=3D3>From: Frederich </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT lang=3D0 =
face=3DSimplex>Ok folks,=20
  I need help.  What is it? </FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>Although =
some sources=20
disagree on this point (I have given a quote from The Columbia =
Encyclopaedia,=20
which specifically says that molasses and treacle are two names for the =
one=20
ingredient) it is my understanding that they are slightly different =
things -=20
that, in fact, treacle is molasses with additives.  This feeling is =

supported by the information I found on a Tate and Lyle site - although =
it is=20
not as specific as the quote following it which I found on a brewing =
site. =20
What all this means, in actual fact, I suppose, is that one could =
probably get a=20
fair substitute by mixing molasses with some other light sugar =
syrup.</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Univers, Arial, Helvetica"><U>
<P></U></FONT><FONT face=3D"Univers, Arial, Helvetica">Treacles (from a =
Tate and=20
Lyle site)<BR></FONT><FONT face=3D"Univers, Arial, Helvetica">These are =
the=20
darkest colour and most highly flavoured of the Tate & Lyle Sugars =
products.=20
The major ingredient is cane molasses. Tate & Lyle Sugars produces =
treacles=20
with consistent characteristics. The treacles differ mainly in their =
total=20
sugars content and cane flavour intensity.</FONT></P></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft>Lyle's Black Treacle (from a brewing site - name not=20
recorded)</DIV>
<P align=3Dleft>Imparts an intense, sweet flavor. Black Treacle is a =
British=20
mixture of molasses, invert sugar and golden syrup. Commonly used in =
dark=20
English ales and Porters. <BR><BR>molasses (from The Columbia =
Encyclopedia:=20
Sixth Edition.  2000)</P>
<P>sugar byproduct, the brownish liquid residue left after heat =
crystallization=20
of sucrose (commercial sugar) in the process of refining. Molasses =
contains=20
chiefly the uncrystallizable sugars as well as some remnant sucrose. =
Centrifuges=20
are used to drain the molasses off from the sucrose crystals. Molasses =
is often=20
reprocessed to retrieve more of this remnant sucrose. The better grades, =
such as=20
New Orleans drip molasses and Barbados molasses—unreprocessed and =
therefore=20
lighter in color and containing more sucrose—are used in cooking =
and=20
confectionery and in the production of rum. The lowest grade, called =
blackstrap,=20
is mainly used in mixed cattle feed and in the manufacture of industrial =

alcohol. <A href=3D"http://www.bartelby.org/65/su/sugarcan.html"><FONT=20
color=3D#000000>Sugarcane</FONT></A> is the major source of molasses; =
other sugar=20
plants, e.g., the sugar beet, yield inferior types. The name molasses is =

sometimes applied to syrups obtained from sorghum and the sugar maple. =
In Great=20
Britain, molasses is called treacle. </P>
<DIV>And now some treacle trivia - I found this at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.lovatts.com.au/WEB_section/trivia/Triv_where_44.htm"><=
FONT=20
color=3D#000000>http://www.lovatts.com.au/WEB_section/trivia/Triv_where_4=
4.htm</FONT></A> while=20
I was searching and was intrigued:</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>"Did you know that treacle has its origins in an idea similar to =
the 'hair=20
of the dog'? </DIV>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>In classical Greece it was thought that the =
antidote to a=20
bite from a wild animal or reptile, was a compound which incorporated =
some of=20
the flesh of the animal. The word for this antidote was <I>theriake</I> =
or=20
'poisonous beast'.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>By the 14th century triacle was used in English as =
the term=20
for an antidote containing venom. The word evolved to mean any healing =
remedy.=20
Certain herbs became known as 'countryman's treacle'.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial> To make it easier to swallow unpalatable =
compound they=20
were sweetened. The syrup produced in sugar refining became a popular =
option. By=20
the end of the 17th century treacle had come to mean not only the =
medicine but=20
also the thick syrup that contained it"</FONT></P>
<DIV align=3Dleft>Gwynydd</DIV>
<P><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT lang=3D0=20
face=3DSimplex></FONT></FONT> </P></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C06D63.83C29050--