Lurkers (was Re: SC - RE:What would you do?)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Dec 29 12:25:27 PST 2000

At 9:22 PM -0800 12/28/00, harper at idt.net wrote:

>Some people -- and here I'm talking *very* generally, and not just about folks
>on this list -- seem to think that if they don't post regularly, then they
>shouldn't post at all.

>What lurkers -- especially shy lurkers -- need to understand is that asking a
>question is itself a form of contribution.  It sparks a discussion, and brings
>forth all kinds of interesting answers, which will probably be of benefit to
>many folks, not just the original questioner.

I agree.

Let me also add that posting merely for the sake of posting is not
merely unnecessary but pernicious. This is a high traffic list--not
because a lot of people on it have things to say, or questions to
ask, about period cooking but because there is a lot of casual
chatter, much of it unrelated to cooking, period or not.  The more
traffic there is, the harder the list becomes to read.

David/Cariadoc

"If you have nothing to say, say nothing"

Bambi's mother, updated edition.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University