SC - Ginger

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Dec 31 15:46:50 PST 2000

Arne asked from Denmark:
> I have a question regarding a Tea/Hot Drink tasting like pure Ginger-tea. I have been told that it was a real Medieval recipy, but everybody did forget to ask for the recipy at the local Medieval market this year (2000). And as I am working at a Library, everybody think that I can answer every question - so I try, and therefore this question. Ok, I tasted just a little, and it was really good, suppose it will be great in this cold time of the year....
> Have a nice day - hope that you are not feeling too cold - here it is mostly wet and grey (a real great weather for a flu....)
> Arne

As I'm not that familar with Ginger-tea, I'm not sure exactly which
taste you
are looking for. There are several non-alcoholic or lightly alcoholic beverages
discussed in this file in the BEVERAGES section of my Florilegium:
beverages-NA-msg  (80K)  9/ 2/99    Non-alcoholic beverages.

Among the possibilites might be "Clarea de Aqua":
> In the "Libro de Guisados" (Spanish, 16th century) there is a recipe for
> Clarea, wine spiced with honey, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.  The non-
> alcoholic version appears immediately afterwards "Clarea de Aqua" (Clarea from
> Water).  It contains the same spices and honey mixed into boiling water, then
> strained.  I haven't gotten the proportions right yet (death by cinnamon!) but
> when done properly, I suspect it would resemble mulled cider.
>
> Brighid ni Chiarain

There is another message in this file giving the original recipe and her
redaction.

Perhaps some of the information in this file might also be of interest:
infusions-msg     (19K) 11/27/00    Period infusions. Herbal "teas".
Barley tea.

It is also cold, wet, grey and yucky here in Austin today. No snow though.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net