SC - Toad in the Hole

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Dec 3 17:42:34 PST 2000

Phlip asked Gunthar:
> Gunthar skrev:
> > My family always called them "Ranch Eggs".
> > I went to visit Selene a little while ago and made these for breakfast.
>
> Curiousity here, then, Gunthar. I'm thinking you're a native Texan? If your
> family called these "Ranch Eggs", I'm assuming that the name was somewhat
> common in your area, ... Where would the name, "Huevos
> Rancheros", which is simply Spanish for Ranch Eggs come in? Does the usage
> of the same name in a different language allow for an entirely different
> dish?

Down here, about four hours south of Gunthar, Huevos Rancheros are
something completely different from this hole in 'Texas' toast filled
with a fried egg. Generally here Huevos Rancheros are scrambled(?)
eggs topped with a red hot sauce and/or Pico de Gallo. I prefer cheese
on top or Migas (a scrambled mix of eggs, peppers, cheese, tortilla
chips,
onions etc), so I've seldom ordered Huevos Rancheros.

I'm not sure what the fried egg in a toast is called down here. I'm pretty
sure I've never seen it on any resturant menus. I've made it a few times
after hearing about it on this list or elsewhere. I've been buttering
both sides of the 'Texas' toast (very messy), tearing out the center,
starting frying that in the skillet and then break in the egg, after
it cooks some, flip and cook the other side. Then a sprinkling of
Cayenne pepper or Paprika.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net