SC - Extravagant recipes

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Fri Dec 1 09:33:02 PST 2000

The humorous recipe for Elephant Stew brought this little gem to mind (well,
my Lady saying, "take three elephants and sandwich one between the other two
then cook under the grill until ..." was what actually did it).

This is from a memoir/travelogue/cookbook which  I simply could not resist
called "How to Cook a Rogue Elephant" by Peter Van Rensselaer Livingston.

"The Moatless Grange was supplied by a flock of three hundred Cheviot sheep
and it was customary to mount three lamb chops - one on top of another -
cooking the outer two until blackened and charred, letting the juices run
into the middle chop which was the only one served.  THis was the speciality
of the great Careme [accent over the first "e" is, clearly, missing here],
by whose instructions Aunt Mildred set great store."

Just a side note, on the same page is this delightful piece:

"From Vitoria Hill came several desserts worth a mention.  One is Poor
Knights of Windsor.  When Stony [the butler] served it I never failed to
ask, "What is this?" in order to elicit the reply:  "Windsor Knights, Master
Peter.  Mr Guilford don't allow them French toasts at Vitoria Hill."

Gwynydd
(Who, BTW, has looked for the recipe for Rogue Elephant with no success -
looks like I may have to read the book all the way through.  Such a shame
;-0.)