SC - US bars UK

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 6 10:19:22 PST 2000

Ras wrote:

> I have been following this thread somewhat. My question is why in the world
> would anyone want to go to a US type bar when traveling in a foreign country
> let alone England.

Because not everyone is as good a traveler as some of us.  Try going to the UK
with a family member whose idea of haute-cuisine is McDonald's and won't try
anything new.  5-year-olds come in all ages and I can name a few right now,
starting with my 'little' brother aged 38.  My lord husband tells the story of
his Army days in Germany in the 1970's, where most of the American servicemen
spent their time off on base, drinking Bud while Jared was off developing a taste
for 'real beer' outside the US base.

Also, as others have mentioned, if the UK is not a foreign country to you, then a
US bar might be something special.  I always make it a point to bring "imported"
California wine as gifts [where permitted] when traveling to other kingdoms.
Grass, greener, fence, you get the pic.

Selene, Caid