SC - Well you were so much help with the other...

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Thu Dec 7 00:29:07 PST 2000

>Hellllooooo the list.
>Nicholas here with this weeks weird question.
>
>I need a recipe for "Cold Pressed Jellied Tongue".
>Nope it isn't for me, period is not important on this one...
>I just have a friend looking for it.
>
>Thanks
>Nicholas of Falcon Cree

Here's one for whole tongue.  I have another recipe for chopped tongue with
gelatin, mayonnaise & other stuff, but I have to go.  Let me know if you
want that one.

>From Cookery for Every Household by Florence B. Jack, 1914(?).

"#882 Ox Tongue in Jelly (Langue de Boeuf à la Gelée)
Take a cooked ox tongue and while still hot skin and trim it carefully.
Roll it into a round shape and pack it tightly into a round cake tin or
special mould.  Then fill up with some melted meat jelly and allow the
whole to set.  When quite cold, turn out in a nice round shape and garnish
with parsley or watercress."

To paraphase their lengthy directions for cooking the tongue:

Wash the fresh tongue, trim it neatly at the root, and skewer it into
shape. Put in a pot with cold water and a bunch of herbs and some
vegetables if you like.  Bring slowly to a boil, reduce heat and simmer
until tender (about 2 to 2 1/2 hours for a small fresh tongue. Take up and
plunge into cold water.  This will help the skin to come off easily.

HTH,

Cindy