SC - US bars UK

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Dec 7 06:37:41 PST 2000

And then, of course, there are the cuisines from the Southeast, which usually
don't get a whole lot of play anywhere, except possibly in the Southeast!
Southern cooking is usually the result of a marriage of African cookery and
European, mostly British.  Then they added in the foods that they found available
in the New World.  A lot of what is called Soul Food is southern cooking...at
least what I grew up with!  However, contrary to popular opinion, it doesn't
consist mostly of veggies that are overcooked with fatback!  A lot of what you'd
find in Martha Washington's Cookery Book is typical of Colonial southern
cooking...and what we know today grew out of that.

Kiri