SC - US bars UK

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 7 14:18:36 PST 2000

Adamantius wrote:
>Fast food _is_ more or less an American invention, at least in its most
>common current form, as is its cousin, the Stouffer Recipe Kitchen. Both
>concepts are, in my opinion, designed to prevent the production and sale
>of absolutely inedible food (with mixed success in some cases),
>theoretically producing the same product in Peoria as in New York as in
>London as in Tokyo, but unfortunately, as a side effect, more or less
>guaranteeing a top standard of mediocrity. However, be all of this as it
>may, none of this should be seen as a suggestion that these chains are
>selling representative American food.

I heard on the radio recently that a bishop in Italy declared that
fast food is not Catholic. It is Protestant and good Catholics, at
least in Italy, should not eat it. Catholic values are communitarian,
such as eating together, while fast food is Protestant, promoting
individualism, eating alone and quickly, rather than at a properly
Catholic leisurely pace.

The report was either on NPR, the BBC, or the CBC, since the station
i listen to broadcasts them all at various times during the day.

I'm searching for a reference on the web, but so far am not coming up
with anything.

Anahita
who doesn't eat fast food anyway, except when going to or from an SCA
event with my consort, who loves the stuff, or on the road with the
Puritan guild i'm in that works small Renaissance Fairs. Since at
least two members are vegetarians (and i'm an ex-vegetarian), we stop
where the choices are a bit broader than just burgers.