SC - Re: US bars UK

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 8 16:59:36 PST 2000

>It does seem to be the case that Americans have something of an
>inferiority complex about our food,

We do, and that's why we keep trying to come up with new ways to showcase
new foods and combinations.  Who else but Americans would come up with the
idea of combining Chinese and Cuban/Dominican food?  (Check out Bayamon in
Greenwich Village, if they're still around) Fried rice and tostones!
WooHoo!  And there's the whole "American Eclectic" and "New American" styles
that are appearing.  We take certain culinary repertoires and apply them to
the resources available.  I remember a "Saveur" article about two years ago,
talking about the original Delmonico's, and referring to Charles Dickens'
first horrified reactions to American food.  Among other things, he was
faced with "a huge tureen of oysters, large enough to smother a half-grown
duke of Clarence".  After dinner at Delmonico's, which applied French
technique to the finest game, fish, and produce available, he recanted.

With the advent of new regional cooking, we're starting to pay attention to
what's available locally.  Imported black truffles and caviar are not
essential to haute cuisine any more; you can make an exquisite dish out of
shrimp and grits.  It's all a matter of technique and intent.

You want the best of American cuisine, ya gotta come here. It seems that the
best cuisines are tied to place; export them and they lose some of their
character.

Vicente