Steamed Pudding Recipes - long (OOP) was Re: SC -

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Fri Dec 8 20:13:31 PST 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Anahita

> So i can imagine tapioca being called sago if the recipe at some
> point was filtered through a SE Asian connection. Note that I'm not
> saying it's a SE Asian dish.

<< quote about age of book snipped>>

> So here is both a British and a South East Asian connection (yes,
> Tasmania isn't exactly SE Asia, but it's in close proximity) and it
> also seems to have a venerable history, if the 15th edition was in
> 1976...
>
> Now none of this proves what i'm saying, but it is suggestive...

Well, for what it is worth, I also have a 5th edition of this text and,
while there is no publication date given, a previous owner has dated his/her
additions to it.  The earliest of these is 1954.  This edition also includes
Sago Plum Pudding - as well as many other recipes for sago.  However, there
are no recipes for tapioca included as far as I can see.  Whether this means
that by the '50s in Tasmania the two were interchangeable, tapioca was not
in use, or tapioca was not popular is not clear.

Gwynydd