Subject: SC - OOP- Devonshire or Clotted Cream from Joy of Cooking

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 9 19:55:45 PST 2000

>Has anyone else tried making clotted cream or substituting for it?

What I have tried is from Elisabeth Ayrton's English Provincial
Cooking, but it is made from regular milk.

In the early evening, pour 2 1/2 quarts of cold fresh cold milk
(regular milk) into a  wide shallow pan.  If you want large
quantities, add 1/2 to 1 pint of double (whipping) cream.  There
 is no need to stir.  Leave it on the shelf of the refrigerator or any
cool place overnight. In the morning, place the pan, being very
careful not to shake or disturb it, on a very low heat for 8 to 10
hours.  The author recommends a heat distributing mat (like an
old time asbestos mat) being placed under the pan.  Remove the pan,
again taking care not to shake or disturb it and store again in the
refrigerator
or other cool place overnight.  In the morning skim off the cream with
a wide-bladed pallette knife or a slice. The clotted cream should be yellow,
wrinkled on top and quite thick.  Serve cold on fresh scones with fruit
jam or treacle.

Prepared this way, it does not seem like butter to me at all.  The thicker
areas of this have the thickness of soft Philadelpia cheese and the more
liquid part like yougart.  I did not get much of a taste of evaporated milk.
I am more minded of fresh curd but far creamier, maybe with a bit of
nutlike taste from the slow scalding.  The author claims this is the way it
has always been made in Devon and Dorset since (I suppose) medieval
times.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"